The Career Assessment & Objectives Questionnaire (CAQ) can be used in the beginning of a mentorship to help develop a game plan that is based on goals and aspirations that are unique to each Protégé. Matched pairs are encouraged to revisit the CAQ on a quarterly basis in order to gauge progress of the mentorship.
Part 1: Career Assessment
Instructions: Respond to each statement by choosing the number which is most true for you.*
1 = Strongly Agree
2 = Agree
3 = Maybe, not certain
4 = Disagree
5 = Strongly Disagree
- I know what motivates me to excel at work.
- I can identify my strongest abilities and skills.
- I have three major achievements that clarify a pattern of interests and abilities that are relevant to my career.
- I know what I both like and dislike in work.
- I know what I want to do during the next 2 years.
- I know what I want to do during the next 5-7 years.
- I have a well-defined career objective that focuses my job search on particular organizations and employers.
- I am going back to school and considering different career options.
- I know what skills I can offer employers in different occupations.
- I know what skills employers seek most in candidates.
- I can clearly explain to employers what I do well and enjoy doing.
- I can clearly and succinctly explain why employers should hire me.
- I want to start/have started a small business and would like assistance in building it.
* Used with permission of Carl S. Savino and Robert Krannich, From Army Green to Corporate Gray.
Part 2: Objectives
- Check all that apply.
- List your top three objectives in the open fields at the bottom of the page.
- Develop an "Action Plan" with your Mentor.
- Obtain a job
- Identify which career fields best suit my skills, interests, and experience
- Learn about various careers in numerous industries
- Build a network of professionals in a variety of industries
- Learn about career opportunities in a particular industry
- Learn how to advance at my current job
- Learn how to deal with a difficult boss, colleague, or fellow student
- Learn how to start my own business
- Learn how to build a business I have already started
- Determine if I should go back to school
- Make sure I am on the right path toward my desired career after I obtain my degree Better deal with work/life balance issues
- Improve my résumé and my interview skills
- Translate my military background to the corporate world
- Learn the language and culture of Corporate America
- Get along better with my peers
- Build lasting relationships with those in the civilian world
Top Three Objectives: